Saturday, December 6, 2014

December 6, 2014

All is well in room 580. 
 
Lexie tolerated her chemo yesterday. Praise God we are so thankful for His watch over Lexie. She will continue to receive fluids most of the day today to protect her kidneys and bladder from the cytoxan infusion she received yesterday. She will also receive a blood transfusion which runs over 4 hours. We're hoping to be discharged sometime this evening. 
 
The infection on her leg is clearing up and responding to the antibiotics ... another direct answer to our prayers! She will receive another dose of chemo called ARA-C today and two more at the apartment (tomorrow and Monday). This chemo is notorious for causing fevers. If Lexie spikes a fever, she will not be discharged and if we are home, she will have to be re-admitted to rule out infection. Unfortunately, we endured this path on many occasions with Mackenzie and I am anxious about reliving those experiences. Please join me in praying for protection from all fevers over the next 3 days. 
 
Waiting, watching, monitoring for fevers is an apparent trigger for anxiety for me. Knowing the stress of being on "high guard", knowing the medical staff becomes very cautious/anxious with fevers and knowing that fevers can be a source of infection which may be life threatening for kids who are immunosuppressed makes my mind spiral to places I don't want to go. I can feel my heart rate increasing and the pit in my stomach forming just writing about it. So I'm choosing to meditate on this devotion today:

"Make Me your primary focus. I am all around you- constantly aware of you. I take note of all your thoughts and prayers. Many, many things vie for your attention, but do not let them crowd Me out. Directing your mind toward Me requires very little energy and is imperceptible to others. Yet the more often you do this, the more fully I can live in you and through you.

Remember that I am present with you each moment of your life, watching over you with perfect Love. In fact, My unfailing Love surrounds the one who trusts in Me. I am training you to be increasingly aware of My loving Presence, even when other things demand your attention. I want to be the constant in your life that provides stability and direction in an unpredictable environment. Since I am the same yesterday, today, and forever, I can be the fixed point that helps you stay on course as you make your way through this ever-changing world. As you keep redirecting your thoughts to Me, I will show you the way forward - and I give you My Peace."

~John 14:27 
Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
 
Appearing scared I asked, "Lexie what are you so worried about?" She replied, "anaphylactic shock!"... Only the Johnson family ...
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
We're home and super excited that our friend Kara Gitskin is spending the night with us! 
 
Pizza, movies and guaranteed laughter ... Thank you Elise Moore and family for delivering a perfect snack just in time for our movie night tonight! And thank you Susan Hodgkinson for your care package and perfect lounge pants to get comfy... although Steve may burn them. #govikings 
 
Lexie is doing really well considering all she has been through in the past 48 hours. Two units of blood and Lexie has pink cheeks and renewed energy. 
 
Please continue to pray for no fevers, your prayers bring us much comfort. 
 
Please also check out the Mackenzie tab on top which gives a brief glimpse into our ordeal with Mackenzie as she was going through her treatment through the Caring Bridge link.

No comments:

Post a Comment